About Donnington and Muxton
Donnington and Muxton Parish Council is made up of four Wards and is one of the largest within the Borough of Telford and Wrekin. The Wards are:
Donnington West which is represented by five Councillors and Donnington East which has one Councillor.
According to the 2011 Census Profile, Donnington had a population of 6,883. The history of Donnington extends as far back to the Doomsday Book. In the early years, it was mainly agricultural, but time would show the rise of industrial developments not only in, but also the surrounding areas of, Donnington, the main ones being coal mining and ironworks.
Donnington’s main employment was coal mining, but this ceased in 1979 with the closure of Granville Colliery which was Shropshire’s last deep colliery. The main employer is now the Central Ordnance Depot, which was moved by the war department from Woolwich, Arsenal in 1939. The Parish Council’s office, Community Library and Community Hall is situated in Turreff Avenue sharing the same building. Donnington also has a small district centre on Wrekin Drive and shops on Albert Place. It also has a small industrial site made up of small units at St George’s Road Industrial Site.
Muxton is represented by five Councillors.
Muxton is an ancient village situated between Lilleshall and Donnington and originally grew up around the dwelling of the swineherd to the Manor of Lilleshall. The name comes from Mocs (pigs) and tun (house). Over the years it has seen a number of large residential developments and is now the equivalent in size of Donnington. The population was 6,557 as of the 2011 Census.
Muxton has a small number of local shops situated in Fieldhouse Drive and Wellington Road. Granville Country Park sits in the Muxton ward and is unique in that it is the only country park in the Borough of Telford & Wrekin. The entire Park is designated as a Local Nature Reserve and there is the nationally important Muxton Marsh Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) as well as an important Shropshire Wildlife Trust Nature Reserve.
The Humbers is represented on the Parish Council by two Councillors.
At The Humbers, iron-making is thought to have taken place since the late 16th Century, with the name ‘Humbers’ deriving from a set of water-driven ‘hammers’ which in 1580 were owned by the Duke of Sutherland (whose Lilleshall Ironworks was one of the first blast furnaces in the West Midlands). The Hammers were located on or near the site of a mill on Lubstree Pool, which, before the dissolution of the monasteries, had belonged to the Canons of the nearby Lilleshall Abbey.
The Humbers currently has an electorate of around 700 and has also seen considerable housing development over the last fifteen years.